Friday, January 18, 2008

OGE crew in town


Click on slideshow to view a larger version or to download images.
Marc, Mike, Josh, and Audrey from The Outdoor Gear Exchange came into Las Vegas a couple days ago to climb at Red Rock Canyon before the Outdoor Retailer trade show in Salt Lake City. I joined them on their first day out climbing. We drove out to the first pullout: Calico 1 and hiked about 40 minutes to the Ultraman Wall at about 4100 ft.

It was a mostly cloudy day and the temps were in the high 30's. It was pretty cold standing around and I'm sure it got quite chilly on the longer routes. There are some long climbs there, well beyond the reach of a single 60M rope. It's good to bring extras with you in case you get too high to rap off the anchors.

It has been great to hang with the crew again. Lots of old and new stories to swap. Even though I'm not really climbing anymore, it's great to rekindle my past life.

We went out for a sushi buffet last night and they're off climbing again today. I don't know where they are today. I suppose I could drive around looking for their white Hyundai (?) they've rented, but I'd still have a considerable hike to find them. I guess we'll have to rely on more SMS texting.

1 comment:

Travis said...

Great to see the photos of the Red Rocks area. Looks fantastic. It's the one crag in the southern U.S. that I still haven't been to but am keen to climb someday...perhaps when Miki is old enough to belay me!

I didn't even recognize Josh. That is Worley, right? Wow. Great flood of memories bouldering in that cold attic of their place downtown many, many years ago now.

What do you think about Obama taking S.C.? Yeah!