Monday, May 29, 2006

SPAM Musubi

Here's an interesting one: I found SPAM musubi at the neighborhood convenience store. Now, I don't know where the first SPAM musubi was created, but I doubt it was here in Japan. I was having them in Hawaii before I was in high school. Yeah, haha. All you haoles are laughin... and I ain't gotta defend SPAM to the likes of you! But to put SPAM into historical perspective, the soon-to-be Americans living in what you call paradise back in the 40's had to make do during the war in ways the rest of the country didn't. Lots of stuff had to get shipped to Hawaii and not at the top of the list was beef and poultry. So Hawaiians had to make do with the rations they had: SPAM and Vienna sausage. Those products became apart of the diet and might be regarded as a hotdog is at Fenway. So yeah, I eat SPAM and I'm proud of it. I might not eat it often, or even occasionally... you could call it a "once-in-a-blue-moon" treat that reminds me of a home in Hawaii. Until recently we had to make all of our own SPAM musubi, but looks like things have changed... a little for the better.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I look horrible in that picture!!! Do something!! Quickly!!

Anonymous said...

Hi guys,

In SF we've been able to get spam musubis in shopping malls for a couple of years now. Specialty stores had it for about 7-8 years. And with all the Hawaiian barbecues springing up all around the Bay Area, it's getting to feel like home... with fog and cold wind, though.

Take care,
Neil

Kent Matsueda said...

Sorry HJ,
I took off the picture for you!

Kent Matsueda said...

Hey Neil,
I gotta get to SF again. Not that it wasn't a cool place before, but I just gotta get back there and see you guys... and try the SPAM musubi for comparison of course.
:-)