Sunday, May 28, 2006

Aquarium R/C

Hyunjoo and I found this cool little submersible that's perfect for our fish tank. It has a 6-channel radio controller that smartly moves the little critter we've begun to call "Piranah" along all three axis. The submarine charges off the controller and will zip around the tank for about 5-10 minutes before it needs recharging. Our fish don't mind, they just think Piranah is another fish in their tank. I'm quickly discovering that our 15 gal. tank is too small now!

3 comments:

Kent Matsueda said...

Day two: low batteries and the submersible don't mix well. Tried to make modifications to fine-tune the bouyancy, but quickly found out that some engineering is best left untampered with. I've also discovered that I can extend the dive time by riding the downward currents generated by the water filter. It's kinda like riding the thermals in a glider in reverse! 5 dives to date.

Kent Matsueda said...

I've been having a reoccuring problem of burning out the sub's battery in less than a minute after recharging. I've been using rechargeable AA's in the recharger, but they are still packed with mAh's. I don't get it. Maybe I'll switch to alkalines next. Geesh.

Kent Matsueda said...

I think I figured out the problem: when I switched to (cheap) alkaline batteries, I got a great run off the sub... at least 30 minutes of playing around in the currents and cruising around the tank. Not including the two bad dives from the previous comment, add another dive for a total of six.