Saturday, December 24, 2005

Kickn' it in Korea... Kristmas Style

I still can't believe it takes 12 hours to fly a few hundred miles. Seoul is so close to Kanazawa if you look at the map, but it seems that traveling anywhere from Kanazawa isn't easy. Well, the weather has been pretty crappy.



HJ and I left a little late. I drove HJ and the luggage to the local bus stop and planned to walk to the station since it's only a 10 min walk. The roads were horrible and I slid around on the street in my dress shoes. I was lucky not to fall in the slush.



The flight from Komatsu airport was delayed over an hour, but we were finally able to take off. It was great to be back in Seoul. I could smell the calbi, brugolgi, and other treats from around the city.



I practiced "anya-hasosa-yo" all the way home. I was determined to greet HJ's parents properly. You should have heard me. It was perfect Korean. Of course I blew it once I saw her parents. Man, I know how my students feel. My mouth totally froze. The pressure was too great. Talk about an affective filter. Thankfully her parents didn't seem to hold it against me. They're great.



We've been having a nice time. HJ's Dad already planned out a bunch of stuff for the week. Unfortunately the DMZ is off the schedule since we needed to apply 3 months in advance for permission to head up there. Oh well. Next time. There's a music concert planned. A day at the church for Christmas. Time with HJ's sisters and their significant others. I'm looking forward to the rest of my stay here.







I thought I would be a little more stressed out, but I feel very comfortable and they're making me feel right at home. I know my parents would kill to get a chance to eat like I've been eating. I even got to eat dolsot-bibimbap for lunch!



I gotta remember to take more pictures. It'll be relatively easy to get them on the web I think. I hope they have a USB cable here for me to use. I should have brought one myself. Speaking of which, I gotta remember to bring some Korean plug adapters as well. I forget that they use the round plugs here!



Merry Christmas... where ever you are!

No comments: