Tuesday, April 26, 2005

Fight water with fire?

I've been having a problem with one of my second year classes (16-some year olds): low energy, bad attitudes, and tardiness. I was beginning to get some bad feelings about how this class will go for the next year. I had a rough day: I forgot materials on my way to class, I tore the side of my pants on the door, and my energy levels were low... so I figured that my last class (the problematic second years) was going to be a total flop. But I tried to take the problem head on: muster all the energy I had, pop a candy bar, and run in like it was "go time"! It worked! They took a little while to warm up, but I had them interested and energized for a race game we did in class. Looks like I gotta keep that up now. I think two solid weeks of high energy classes will begin to make a good impression on the kids. Frankly, it's a pretty easy class and once I begin to challenge them more, I'm hoping to mold them into a really good class.

2 comments:

Kent Matsueda said...

thanks mj... spoken well.

i had another tough class and when the class was finished, i just told them to "leave" or "get out". it was this past monday during the golden week. after i cooled off i realized that they didn't want to be in class anymore than i did. in the end a couple of the "trouble makers" came to apologize and all i could say was "don't worry and let's have more fun next time". isn't that what it's all about anyhow?

Anonymous said...

it always seems that when you're expecting the worst, the kids pull through- it's almost as if they sense that your day is, well, biting.

many times it's these classes that, at first glance, look as though they're going to beat you to the ground that, in the end, endear you the most.

Tue Apr 26, 03:57:53 PM JST