Sunday, May 25, 2008

Mt. Nittany Hike

Hyunjoo and I finally drove over to the famous (in this neck-of-the-woods) Mt. Nittany for a Memorial-Day Weekend hike. It's only a little more than 10 minutes from Lion's Gate Apartments, so we were up and running in no time.

View Larger Map
Being a rural area, we have lots of hills around us, but this is the famous ridgeline for its proximity to Penn State.

Unfortunately, I don't have any pictures of our trip due to a glitch in my iPhone I've just fixed, but we'll get some posted on our next trip up.

The hike up only took about 25 min and the rest of the 3 hours was spent hiking around the rim of the ridge with a little "extra" meandering worked-in.

The majority of folks keep around the inner circle of trails and the look-out to Penn State's campus. Hyunjoo and I only saw a hand full of folks during the rest of our hike.

It's a nice little peak with some potentially nice terrain for some winter backcountry skiing if they get enough snow here in the winter. It's almost all hardwoods, so I'll definitely be coming back here next winter to check out the conditions.

No comments: