Thursday, June 28, 2007

Too bad

I was talking with an old friend last week who lives in Kyoto. He's been there for about 10 years. Some might call him an expat, though he might take offense to the label as a few others have. I'm not exactly sure why. I'm pretty neutral on the term myself. That's another story however.

We were comparing life here in Japan with back home in America and he said that he was happy enough to live here because things like the troubling side of the Immigration Bill and the lack of the American Government's effectiveness in Iraq and at home just made the idea of living in America unpleasant by comparison.

I had to bite my lip, because I would probably just say something that would just damage our pleasant, but "convenient" friendship. I think part of getting older means developing a pretty "rough lip" - at least in my case.

I don't want to step on toes here. Everyone has very different experiences and reasons for living abroad, whether temporarily or indefinitely. Nor do I mean to reduce someone's reasons for living abroad, because these situations are usually based on very complicated decisions.

I suppose I felt like he gave a poor reason to live here in Japan, but perhaps no better than the one I had for coming here in the first place. I also know that I felt defensive to his remarks as he knows that I'm headed back to America. I'm looking for an opportunity, he's only commenting on the negative media-driven image of America that's fueled by daily internet bytes and an annual two-week trip back home to oblige his family.

I realize that it's part of the "survival package" of living as an expat. And perhaps I even wore that mask myself before my decision to return to America. And perhaps that's a part of exactly why I'm returning to America now with Hyunjoo.

No comments: