Sunday, March 18, 2007

C.C.Z. Beach


We took Jayoung out to the beach looking out to the sea between Japan and Korea. I was amazed how different it looked from when I was last there in the summer. Firstly, the sand dunes had migrated up the beach across the concrete walk-way, over the berms, and into the parking lot. They must dedicate a huge working crew to relocate the sand before the droves return in the summer. Secondly, there was litter across the entire length of the beach. I had heard some Japanese folks accuse the Koreans for being responsible for littering in the ocean. Indeed, I found my first proof of Korean litter. There was one squeeze bottle on the beach. The rest however showed signs of Japanese origin and it's no surprise. We see Japanese folks littering in town frequently. The litter goes into the gutters which wash it into large culverts that lead into major rivers. The rivers take the rest of it out to the ocean. I've seen it every step of the way in my travels. It's a sad fact.

Hyunjoo found what looked to be a rat at first glance, but soon realized that it was a dried up blowfish. Within 20 square yards we found about 15 more of its friends washed up and dried out as well. It was kind of sad to see. They have incredibly sharp barbs. I'd hate to be the predator that swallows one only to have it inflate in your mouth.

We launched the kites in the mild wind and had a quick session before heading back to town. I'm hoping the wonderful weather holds. We're dying for the spring to come.

No comments: